I want to start 2019 off with some nursing resolutions to help me guide my year. I am normally not a person that believes in the whole “new years resolutions” thing because I make the same ones every year and never stick to them lol! This is a little different. These resolutions aren’t about me losing weight or magically getting out of debt. This is me making myself a better nurse. So, here are my “resolutions” (I almost don’t even want to call them that):
- I am going to make a conscious effort to stop complaining so much at work. I mean, I honestly work with awesome people and my job isn’t that hard.
- I am going to join some sort of national nursing organization. I want to keep up with standards of practice that are being discussed.
- I am going to start an NP program. I applied but I keep finding reasons that maybe I shouldn’t do it. I am going to do it dammit!
- I am going to join and actually participate in one of our nursing committees. I always say I am going to join but I never really do.
- I am going to start back riding my bike to work so I can get that first bit of exercise in. I actually used to feel invigorated when I got to work but I stopped because of an ankle injury. I have been using it as an excuse ever since.
- I am going to try and get either my PCCN or my CCRN. I have done 5 years of critical care and I am currently having to do ECCO for progressive care so I might as well get some kind of certification.
- I am going to try and make sure I provide more positive feedback to my coworkers. Everyone needs to be told they are doing a good job every now and then.
It’s not a long list but these are things I am going to try and carry with me throughout all of the year instead of giving up by the end of January.
I am curious to hear if any of you have some “nursing resolutions ” you plan on trying to carry out?
7 thoughts on “Resolutions”
Happy Holidays to you and yours, and best wishes with your New Year’s goals! 🙂
I’m hoping I stick to these. Happy holidays to you and yours!
This is a great list! When you write that “it isn’t a long list,” that is neither here nor there. The quality of the list is awesome, yet doable; and seem like the kinds of things to really “move the needle” forward for you becoming the nurse you want to be.
I am not a nurse, but I can still learn from your “resolutions.” For instance: who wouldn’t benefit from joining a professional association/organization in one’s field? Who couldn’t benefit from looking at their experience to find if there is a way to achieve some certification or milestone with a bit of added effort? And who couldn’t stand to provide more positive feedback to one’s co-workers and colleagues?
I wish you the best!
Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad it makes sense
LikeLiked by 1 person
These are great goals/commitments/pledges/promises for your nursing career! (Googled synonyms for resolutions. Do any of these work better? 😀 )
I really love and appreciate that you wrote this. I have a background in personal development and it is cool to see how people motivate themselves to keep getting better at what they do.
It is also really cool because a friend of mine who is a RN also said the same thing about joining an association. She had heard about them in school, but never actually joined one. Looking into it, they have many benefits that a student would never think possible. Networking is everything!
I believe that you will keep your promises. You sound like a person who wants to improve yourself and others. I wish you the best of luck and I will be cheering for you!
Thanks for sharing this!
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Also, I much prefer the synonyms you found!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Love these!! Great start to 2019 I think. Very honest and perfect ‘resolutions’ 🙂 you got this easy.